These three flavours are one of my FAVOURITE combos of all time – especially when it starts getting closer to the summer!The citrus of the lemon, with the crunchy pistachios and then the luxurious creamy taste of the white chocolate goes perfectly in this soft, chewy cookie!
These are not your classic crunchy cookies. They are super soft, with a slight crunch on the outside and honestly do not last 5 seconds in my household! Also – the SMELL when baking these are too divine!
Like any other cookie recipe, this is fairly simple and straight forward. The only thing you need to watch out for is the cookies will spread – quite a lot! So don’t be tempted to fit all of them on one baking sheet as you will end up with one big misshapen cookie… trust me, I have done so many times! But really one big large cookie doesn’t sound too bad does it?!
As an optional topping, you can sprinkle these cookies with some flaky sea salt to counteract the sweetness. If you prefer not to have flaky salt, then do not feel you have to as they are perfectly tasty without!
Also, this is currently my new favourite mug of all time – I feel it sums up my mood most of the time! lol. Don’t tell anyone..
Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I did! If you make it please feel free to tag me @merakibaking on my Instagram as I love seeing you guys testing things out!
- 227g Unsalted butter
- 100g Caster sugar
- 100g Light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 160g Plain flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Bicarbonate soda
- 250g White chocolate chips or white chocolate roughly chopped
- 75g chopped pistachios (weight is after chopping and removing shells)
- Flaky salt – I use Maldon
- Start by beating the butter and sugar together in a stand mixer for around 5 minutes until light, fluffy and pale. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and vanilla and while the mixer is on low, slowly pour the egg mixture into the butter and sugar mixture until it is combined. This lowers the risk of a curdled mixture. Add the lemon zest and mix to combine.
- In another separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and soda until combined. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix. Then add in the white chocolate chips and pistachios leaving around 3 tbsp of each behind.
- Cover the mixing bowl with cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes (or up to 48 hours).
- Once the cookie dough has chilled, pre-heat the oven to 375°F/190°C/170°C fan. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Scoop the dough using a tbsp and roll between the palms to create balls. Arrange far apart from each other on the baking trays as they will spread significantly in the oven. I tend to do around 5 per baking sheet.
- Sprinkle each ball with the letover white chocolate and pistachios as well as some flaky salt then bake for 8-10 minutes until golden at the edges and slightly underdone. They will firm up while they are cooling. Leave to cool on the baking tray for around 20-30minutes before placing on a rack to cool completely.
- Store in air-tight container or up to 1 week.
*Do not skip chilling the dough – otherwise cookies will come out extremely flat!