Chocolate Cake, it’s delicious, decadent and we just can’t get enough of it! But boy are they hard to perfect! Too bitter, too sweet, too stodgy. I’ve eaten them all! Until I came across this recipe by the magnificent MARY BERRY and adapted it slightly to perfect the ultimate chocolate sponge!
I’m not kidding when I say you do not need any other chocolate cake recipe in your life! It’s perfectly balanced, meaning any type of icing and toppings will work well. So versatile, meaning every birthday cake for your friends and family can be made with the same recipe and still be different each time!
And yes, I’m going to say it… IT IS MOIST! and delicious and ommmg why has it taken this long to find the perfect recipe?!?
I think the major key player here is the paste you create at the very beginning. Mixing the cocoa powder and the boiling water. It’s got to be soft, but not runny! It almost looks like chocolate custard
Once the paste is correct, it is fairly simple as all the other ingredients are added and mixed into a velvety chocolate cake mixture!
This cake goes perfectly with chocolate ganache! I used two types of chocolate to really get the balance of sweet/bitter chocolate correct, using one bar of 40% cocoa solids and two bars of 35% cocoa solids. If you prefer your ganache dark, then I would recommend using all 40% or even up to 60% cocoa solids it purely depends on your taste.
I have used this cake recipe on multiple occasions. This time it was a family members birthday who requested chocolate buttons! I kept the decoration to a minimum here with chocolate buttons, gold sprinkles and some fancy champagne candles!
This post is just to help with creating the perfect sponge. This allows full creativity to YOU to add whatever toppings you like. I have many times added a layer of orange jam/marmalade onto the cake before adding the chocolate ganache and topping with Jaffa Cakes! To make a chocolate orange cake
This recipe makes four cake layers! It is a monster of a cake, perfect for celebrating. However, you can half the recipe to make it two layers or make the full four layers and just use three leaving one to make into cake pops! The recipe for these can be found HERE
Such an easy, tasty recipe that can be made super quick and decorated exactly how you like! Give it a go and let me know how you get on as I would love to know! Happy Autumn everyone, there are so many projects on the way I cannot wait to share them with you!
- This recipe makes four layers of cake! You can either half the recipe to make two layers, or make all four to make a triple layer cake and use the last remaining layer to make cake pops!
- The paste made from the cocoa powder and the boiling water is a crucial step! Add boiling water in one tablespoon at a time to make sure you do not add too much
- If you prefer a more bitter/dark chocolate taste you can add 50g extra cocoa powder into the recipe (adding more boiling water to reach the same consistency). Or if you prefer, make the chocolate ganache filling more bitter by adding darker chocolate (60% cocoa solids)
- For a chocolate orange cake, add layer of orange jam/marmalade onto the cake layers before adding ganache and top with Jaffa Cakes.
- This cake allows for creativity to flourish, try adding chocolate covered strawberries, caramel shards or even edible flowers for a fancy twist!